When submitting expenses for reimbursement, either electronically or in person, forms must include a PI accounting speedtype number and signature. Travel reimbursement forms must also include a pre-travel (Terradotta) ID#. If you have any questions please contact Maria Farrington email@example.com .
- Itemized receipt must be attached
- Include list of attendees with affiliation
- Tips can be reimbursed up to 20%
- Alcohol cannot be charged to Federal/State grants. Otherwise, observe a 1 drink per person limit. (Alcohol reimbursement cannot exceed 25% of total bill.)
- Meals over $500 must have prior approval form signed by the Dean
Before making travel arrangements, please make sure that you are familiar with the UMass employee travel policies.CLICK HERE for the travel quick reference guide. (CLICK HERE for the extended travel policy manual.)
Pre-travel registration is required for all University travel. In addition, pretravel authorization is necessary for all out of state or overnight travel. CLICK HERE to register travel and submit to be approved by advisor. (Job Aid for registering travel.)
Some notable reminders are:
- Receipts must show proof of payment – noting either cash or partial credit card info.
- Only expenses for lodging can be included in lodging (excludes video charges, mini bar, room services, etc.)
- AirBNB, VRBO etc. charges are accepted (but cannot be charged to a CC travel card).
- When sharing travel charges, the reimbursement can only be given to the employee who provides proof of payment. All travelers' pretravel authorization numbers should be included on the reimbursement form.
- Mileage should be calculated from your home address or UMass Amherst (the shorter distance to destination).
- Taxi/Shuttle - 15% tip allowed for reimbursement
- When converting currency for international travel reimbursements, the conversion rate must be based on the expense date. If a credit card was used, it may be easiest to submit a copy of the statement with personal info redacted.
- See above for meal reimbursements (business meetings) that are separate from a per diem request