I have been a professor in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at the University of Maryland since 1992.
An interdisciplinary team of scientists at the University of Massachusetts Amherst has produced a new class of electronic materials that may lead to a “green,” more sustainable future in biomedical and environmental sensing, say...
Hayward Group ~ Discovering the role of pre-stress in the mechanical stability of stacked conical sections
Collapsible dog bowls, bendable medical tubes and drinking straws all seem to work on a common principle, snapping into a variety of mechanically stable and useful states. Despite the many applications for such “designer matter”...
Formation of Frank–Kasper phases in soft matter systems confounds intuitive notions that equilibrium states achieve maximal symmetry, deriving from the conflict between symmetry of spherical domains and uniform space filling. A new...
- NSF Materials Research Science and Engineering Center on Polymers (MRSEC)
- Center for UMass Industry Research on Polymers (CUMIRP)
- NSF Center for Hierarchical Manufacturing (CHM)
- DOE Polymer-Based Materials for Harvesting Solar Energy (PHaSE) Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC)
- Soft Materials for Life Sciences National Research Traineeship (NRT)