Students in Polymer Science and Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst have great opportunities for both scholarships and fellowships. We currently have three internal awards. Firstly, the Santos Go Memorial Scholarship is an endowment fund established through concerted efforts of the PSE department, the Owens-Illinois Company, the Go family, and former PSE classmates. The fund initiated the Santos Go Memorial Merit Scholarship, is to be awarded each year to the most outstanding second year PSE student as judged by scholarly accomplishments accrued during the previous academic year. In addition, thanks to generous yearly donations from the respective companies, PSE annually selects Merit Scholarship and Bayer Materials Science Merit Scholarship awardees. Factors weighed in selecting the scholarship's recipient include cumulative exam performance,grades and research initiative.
In addition to these department granted scholarships, our students apply for and receive numerous external awards. Some current awards are:
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships
- Distinguished Samsung Fellowship
- James Mackenzie Graduate Scholarship from the Society of Plastics Engineers
- The National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship
- Society of Plastics Engineers Foundation Fellowship
- French Chateaubriand Fellowship
- Student Paper and Poster Awards from various national meetings
For more information on specific recent awards and recipients. please visit the PSE honors and awards recipients page.