1999, PhD, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Polymer Science & Engineering
1995, MS, Tsinghua University, Physics
1992, BS, Tsinghua University, Physics
Room: A328, Conte Research Center
University of Massachusetts Amherst
120 Governors Drive
Amherst, MA 01003
We are interested in the application of NMR spectroscopy in the areas of polymer morphology, molecular dynamics, and diffusion. The materials we study include elastomers, fibers, photovoltaic materials, polyolefins, ionomers, artificial bones, fire-retardant polymers, etc. We also inquire how the nanoscale structural and dynamical behavior governs materials’ macroscopic properties such as those under extreme dynamic environments.
- “Facile Synthesis of Carbon-Containing Silicon Carbide and Silicon Oxycarbide Ceramic Nanocomposites via Rapid Photothermal Pyrolysis of Organosilicon Preceramic Polymers”, U. Okoroanyanwu, A. Bhardwaj, V. Einck, A. Ribbe, W. Hu, J. Morere, W.R. Schmidt, J.J. Watkins. Submitted to Advanced Functional Materials.
- “Combining Mechanical Fortification and Ultra-low Flammability in Epoxy Networks”, C. Saraf, E. Stubbs, W. Hu, T. S. Emrick, A. J. Lesser, submitted to Macromolecular Materials and Engineering.
- “Characteristic Phosphorus of High Polymerization Ammonium Polyphosphate by 31P NMR”, Y. Liu, R. Yang, W. Hu, D. Li, Chem. J. Chin. Univ. 2020, in press
- “Modifying the Structure and Dynamics of Ionomers through Counterion Sterics”, J. S. Enokida, W. Hu, H. Fang, B. F. Morgan, F. L. Beyer, H. H. Winter, E. Bryan Coughlin, Macromolecules, 2020, 53, 1767-1776
- “Molecular Dependencies of Dynamic Stiffening and Strengthening through High Strain Rate Microparticle Impact of Polyurethane and Polyurea Elastomers”, Y. Sun, Y.-C. M. Wu, D. Veysset, S. E. Kooi, W. Hu, T. M. Swager, K. A. Nelson, A. J. Hsieh, Appl. Phys. Lett. 2019, 115, 093701
- “19F MRI of Polymer Nanogels Aided by Improved Segmental Mobility of Embedded Fluorine Moieties”, O. Munkhbat, M. Canakci, S. Zheng, W. Hu, B. Osborne, A. A. Bogdanov, and S. Thayumanavan, Biomacromolecules, 2019, 20 (2), pp 790–800
- “Unraveling the high strain-rate dynamic stiffening in select model polyurethanes − the role of intermolecular hydrogen bonding”, Y.-C. M. Wu, W. Hu, Y. Sun, D. Veysset, S. E. Kooi, K. A. Nelson, T. M. Swager, A. J. Hsieh, Polymer, 2019, 168, 218-227
- “Functional polymers for growth and stabilization of CsPbBr3 perovskite nanoparticles”, H. Kim, S. So, A. Ribbe, Y. Liu, W. Hu, V. V. Duzhko, R. C. Hayward, and T. Emrick, Chem. Commun. 2019, 55, 1833-1836
- “Characterization of High Polymerization Degree Ammonium Polyphosphate and Its Chain Structure by 31P NMR”, Y. Liu, R, Yang, D. Li, J. Liang, and W. Hu. Chem. J. Chin. Univ. 2018, 39, 2080-2088.
- “Broadening the scope for fluoride-free synthesis of siliceous zeolites”, V. Vattipalli, A. M. Paracha, W. Hu, H. Chen, and W. Fan, Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed. 2018, 57, 1-6.